Confused about teething snacks for your little one? Don't know what snack to carry for little one while travelling? Just try this traditional laddoos at home.
Ragi Laddoos are helpful and handy snacks for kids & adults. During non-meal time or outings/traveling, you can always carry and give Ragi Laddoos as a healthy snack to the family. Ragi itself is rich in nutrition and when it is clubbed with Almonds, Walnuts, and Ghee then it becomes healthier.
Ingredients: Sprouted Ragi (100 gm), Almonds, Walnuts, Ghee, and Dates Powder (you can also add little pistachio and cashew along with almonds & walnuts for grown-up kids as well as elders)
A: Sprouting Ragi -
- Rinse the Ragi and soaked overnight. Next day, drain the excess water.
- Take the Ragi and spread it evenly on a wet muslin cloth & tie it up.
- Use a utensil (perforated bowel or normal one) and put the tied muslin cloth in it. Keep it overnight and let the Ragi sprout. You need more hours if sprouting is not done properly.
- Once it is sprouted properly, spread it evenly on a clean & dry muslin cloth. And sundry it.
- Now take dry sprouted Ragi in a kadai and roast it for 5 - 7 minutes on a low flame. Allow it to cool down. Then grind it in a mixture to make a fine powder. (use chalni/sieve to separate sprouts & unpowered pieces)
- Once your sprouted Ragi powder is ready, transfer it to an airtight container.
B: Ragi Laddoos making
- First, take a pan and put it on a low flame. Add Ghee as per requirements and then add Sprouted Ragi flour.
- Fry the flour on low heat till you get nice fragrances of Ragi. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool down.
- Make a Nuts Powder with Almonds, Walnuts & Cardamom. (take almonds and walnuts as per requirement and grind them along with cardamom to get a fine powder)
- Take a bowl, add Sprouted Ragi flour and Nuts powder, and mix it well with the required date powder.
- Now take it in a blender and blend it.
- Transfer it to a convenient plate or bowl to make Laddoos. Take the little portion of the mixture in your hands and start forming small Laddoos. If required then add warm melted Ghee for texture & binding. (use ghee in limit only)
- Once the Laddoos are ready, make your baby taste them. And transfer the remaining to an airtight container. Consume within a couple of days.
- Ragi is also known as Finger Millet or Nachni. It is Gluten-free & highly nutritional food for babies. Ragi is a rich source of Carbs, Calcium, Protein, Fibre, Iron, Phosphorus, and Potassium. Because Ragi has such apt nutrition, it has good health benefits. Calcium benefits bone & teeth development, Fibre benefits aids in digestion, and Iron benefits aids in anemia & blood formation. It is suitable for all age groups.
Almonds are a good source of antioxidants. It also contains Fibre, Protein, Vitamin E, Vitamin B2, Manganese, Magnesium & phosphorus. It is also good for baby bones and teeth.
Walnuts are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. It also has Vitamin E, Folate, Protein, Fibre & Magnesium. Walnuts are energy dense.
Ragi Laddoos are super healthy snacks. Homemade snacks are great options and surely a better choice over other non-nutritious snacks. Since nuts are allergic so do ensure that your baby has no allergy to nuts and consult your pediatrician before introducing such snacks. Adults can enjoy Ragi Laddoos as a healthier snacking option when hunger knocks.
Note: Consult your pediatrician if you introduce Ragi Laddoos to below 12 months child.