Kodo Millet Khichdi is a nutritious and tasty dish that can be used as weaning food for babies. It is easy to prepare and provides a balanced meal with all the essential nutrients needed for healthy growth and development.
(1) 1/3 Cup Kodo Millet, (2) Split Yellow Moong Dal (2 tablespoon), (3) Ghee (1 teaspoon), (4) Cumin Seeds (1/4 teaspoon), (5) Asafoetida (1 pinch)
1. Wash the Kodo millet and moong dal separately until the water runs clear. Soak in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely before cooking.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a pan over medium heat, add cumin seeds and asafoetida; let it crackle for a few seconds, then add drained millet-dal mixture into it; stir fry for about 3 minutes until lightly roasted, stirring occasionally to avoid burning it at the bottom of the pan.
3. Add 2 cups of water, and bring it to boil over medium heat while stirring continuously so that nothing sticks at bottom of the pan; cover with a lid and cook on low flame till all the moisture evaporates completely (about 10 minutes).
4. Finally, mash slightly using a spatula while stirring continuously till khichdi becomes soft but not mushy consistency; switch off the flame; serve warm or at room temperature.
Suitable Age: 8+ Months & Above
Note: Consult your pediatrician before introducing new food to your baby.