Have you ever tried Date Syrup?
Well, the syrup is made from Dates and it tastes great. It is a homemade sweetener and can be introduced to your baby after 10-12 months. Syrups can be added to a child's food to enhance the taste without sacrificing health. It is a much better alternative to processed sugar.
Ingredients: Seedless dates (250 gm) & Water
If you are aware & find it easily then use Medjool dates. They are a little bigger, soft & juicy in taste. If you don’t find it then opt for another variety of Dates that are soft & juicy.
- Wash Dates properly to remove any dust or oils. Repeat at least 3-4 times.
- Clean dates with a muslin cloth to dry them and chop them nicely.
- Take a Pan and add the required water to it. Put it on a high flame and boil the water.
- Once the water is boiled, keep your pan on a table or platform and add chopped Dates to it. Cover your pan and soak Dates for 60 - 90 minutes.
- Once the Dates are soaked properly, take them out and mash them with a masher.
- Now take mashed Dates and keep them in a muslin cloth. (do not take excessive water and remove extra water to avoid being too watery)
- Take a new bowl and squeeze muslin cloth and collect Dates juice in a bowl.
- Repeat the process until you can take out the liquid very well.
- Take your bowl full of Dates juice and put it on a flame. Boil on a medium flame till it thickens like honey. You need to take care so it does not burn or turn black.
- Once it thickens, keep it aside and let it cool down.
- Now transfer the Date Syrup to a glass jar and refrigerate it. Use it within a week.
Dates are a power pack food. It is an instant energy booster. Dates are a good source of Fibre & Potassium. It contains natural sugar which is why it is a better option than processed sugar. It promotes healthy weight gain.
Just don’t give it more frequently to your baby else chances that your baby develops a sweet tooth. Use it just as a taste enhancer in your special recipes. This can be consumed by adults too in milk or a favorite recipe.
Suitable Age: 10 to 12 Months & Above
Note: Check for allergies and consult your pediatrician before introducing Date Syrup to infants.