Immunity — defence system to keep baby healthy
Immunity is one of the most talked points when it comes to newborn. And it is emotionally tough when a baby is sick, even with minor symptoms. Immunity in children is at most important for their development & growth. High immunity saves children from getting sick which helps them to grow healthy.
Immunity is the capability of body cells to resist harmful microorganisms from entering into blood. Immune cells of our body protect us from illness or diseases caused by harmful microorganisms. Immunity in Newborn Babies is only temporary and it starts to decrease after a few weeks or months. Infants are more exposed to infections as their immune system is not as strong as young adults.
Breastfeeding helps to boost a baby's immune system. During the first 2 to 4 days colostrum is secreted which is rich in protein and it contains antibodies which increases the immune system of the baby and protects the baby against infections. Breast milk is a natural source of the finest nutrients and that is the reason that Breast fed babies have good immune power compared to those who are on infant formula.
Vaccination is the most important & effective way to protect babies against infections and diseases, like polio, chicken pox, diphtheria, hepatitis B, rotavirus, pneumococcal, typhoid etc... Vaccination develops antibodies in the baby's body. It will respond faster to fight the disease or prevent serious infections. Nowadays, pediatricians are providing a full list of vaccinations along with its due dates which is helpful to keep a track. Top of that, there are many awareness steps taken by health authorities.
Know-how for Parents:
- God's immunity booster is Colostrum. It contains antibodies which increases the immune system of the baby and helps to protect and fight against infections.
- Breastfeeding to be continued since it is a natural source of nutrients and antibodies. Everything available in the right amount that a baby requires.
- Restriction of processed sugar will also help to activate WBS which works as key immune cells.
- Wash your hands or use sanitizer as infants are prone to infections that may pass through.
- Diapers are convenient however it may cause rashes or urinal allergies. Prefer to use cloth diapers. If diapers are necessary then ensure that you change it at regular intervals.
- Foods rich in antioxidants/Vitamin C like tomato, pumpkin, beetroot, berries, green leafy vegetables, guava, gooseberry, oranges, lemon etc are great for immunity. (if outside food is already introduced to babies)
- Personal hygiene as well as household hygiene is both equally important to prevent infections. Use of disinfectant liquid to wash the mother's and baby’s cloth, utensils used to cook food for babies are also important. As well as hygiene of the floor when a baby starts crawling.
- Sound sleep is crucial for physical & mental growth. Healthy sleeping schedule is highly recommended.
- Grandparents had great experience and they often talk about the importance of tulsi, ginger & garlic and few other easily available herbs. Incorporate these herbs with your recipe. (must check for an allergy and to be avoided if infant are not ready to feed such herbs)
- Always cover your baby in full sleeves clothes to save them from insect bites, especially mosquitoes.
- Nothing is better than natural resources. Sunlight is highly required and recommended by everyone. Exposure to mild sunlight at an early morning is beneficial to the baby.
There is no secret sauce that can take care or build Immunity overnight. However, precautions can be taken for better health and growth of a baby.